Ref ID: 6277
Newspaper Memorial Notice 1916.
Belfast Telegraph Newspaper Memorial Notice relating to Lance Corporal William John Jameson.
Name: William John Jameson.
Service Number: 3105.
Rank: Lance Corporal.
Battalion: 1st Battalion.
Regiment: Irish Guards.
Born: 21st October 1888, County Londonderry.
Died: 6th November 1914.
Address: 13 Argyle Street, Belfast
Volunteer William John Jameson, son of Thomas and Mary Jameson, lived with his wife and children at 13 Argyle Street, Shankill Road, Belfast
The 1901 Ireland Census has William living at 33 Irwin Street, Portadown, Armagh with his mother, occupation, House Keeper, three brothers, Joseph, 23 years, Labourer, Thomas J, 15years, Robert G, 8 years, and two sisters, Maggie, 6 years, Elizabeth, 5 years
The 1911 Ireland Census has Williams family still living at 33 Irwin Street, Portadown, Armagh
William had married Caroline (Carrie) Jameson, Nee McCann, on the 18th November 1911 within St Marks Church Portadown. They went on to have two children, their names and dates of birth are as follows, Violet born 29th August 1912, and Mary Catherine born 13th of December 1913
William was an employee of Arthur Guinness Co and was based within their Trade Stores in Belfast.
He was a member of the West Belfast Ulster Volunteer Force
William joined the Irish Guards.
He was posted as part of the British Expeditionary Force to France.
William was a Lance Corporal in 1st Battalion Irish Guards when he was Killed In Action in France on the 6th of November 1914 aged 26 years
A local newspaper states.
Mrs Jameson, who resides with her two children at 18 Argyle Street, Belfast, is anxious to the fate of her husband, Lance Corporal Wm Jameson (3105), No 2 Company 1st Battalion Irish Guards, who was reported wounded and missing in November last. Prior to being called up on the reserve Jameson, who is a member of the West Belfast Regiment U.V.F, was employed at Messrs A Guinness Son, Grosvenor Road. His wife would be glad to hear from anyone concerning him
The War Office has notified Mrs Jameson, of 13 Argyle Street, Belfast, that her husband, Lance Corporal William J Jameson, 1st Battalion Irish Guards, must be regarded as dead. Deceased has been missing since November 6 1914, and is believed to have been killed about that time. He was a reservist, employed at Messrs A Guinness Sons, Grosvenor Road and was also a member of the West Belfast U.V.F. He leaves two children
Williams name is recorded on the St James Brewery Roll of Honour, beside all those who served in the Great War.
Williams Soldiers Effects were left to his widow.
Dependant Pension Application Forms show that his widow was claimant
William received the British War Medal, Victory Medal and 1914 Star.
He is Remembered at Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Belgium.
To Remember Is To Honour
Shankill Roll of Honour
Newspaper, , Photograph - Belfast Telegraph